Students who choose to pursue their education at the University of South Africa (UNISA) can do so without having to worry about finances. This is because of the availability of bursaries at UNISA.
Every year, students are supposed to fill in application forms and submit supporting documents in order to benefit from these bursaries. There are special bursaries here set aside for people with disabilities as well.
NSFAS (National Student Financial Aid Scheme) offers bursaries to students pursuing different kinds of disciplines. Bursaries at UNISA are offered to South African students. In order to qualify for these bursaries, students are supposed to meet the following criteria.
– Should be a citizen
– Eligible to register at the university when the loan is offered
– Undergraduate students
– Postgraduate students
– Should be able to demonstrate they are successful academically and in need of financial assistance.
– Should apply before closing dates of first and second semesters
Among the most popular bursaries at UNISA are those targeted towards postgraduate students studying towards attainment of professional qualification for purposes of securing employment.
Those interested in getting postgraduate bursaries are advised to apply in good time before the closing date and ensure they meet the set criteria. Law students can also benefit from bursaries in UNISA by applying for law bursaries.
Whether applying for a postgraduate or law bursary, students are required to complete a test and on top of this, they should be citizens.
Funza Lushaka Bursaries
These bursaries were launched for purposes of promoting teaching as a career choice for committed and dedicated South Africans. Eligible students can get full funded bursaries to complete their teaching education.
Students who get the Funza Lushaka bursaries are required to teach in allotted public schools for the same number of years they received the bursaries. In the event a student chooses not to teach in these schools, the bursaries are converted into repayable loans. In order to qualify for this loan, students should meet the following criteria.
The bursaries are awarded to students pursuing teaching qualification.
– Students should be studying PGCE or BED degree
– The performance of the students should be above standard.
– Applicants should meet the criteria of the program they intend to pursue as set by UNISA university
– Once through with studies, the recipients should be committed to teaching in public schools to which they might be appointed.
– Applications are submitted online together with supporting documents.